- (Exodus 34:6-7) And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. (KJV)
- (Psalms 62:12) Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work. (KJV)
- (Jonah 4:2) And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil. (KJV)
How does the Bible describe the mercy of God?
- (Ephesians 2:4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, (KJV)
- (Psalms 86:5) For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. (KJV)
- (Psalms 106:1) Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (KJV)
- (Lamentations 3:22-23) It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (KJV)
Recipients of God’s mercy
- (Genesis 19:15-16) And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city. (KJV)
- (Philippians 2:26-27) For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. (KJV)
- (1 Timothy 1:12-13) And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. (KJV)
Then there is me; a sinner saved by grace. On September 10, 2000 I came to the realization that I was a lost sinner and that my destination was going to be an eternity in the lake of fire. but God by His mercy saved me.
- (Titus 3:5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (KJV)
What were some of the works of righteousness that I was relying upon?
Sunday school teacher
The mercy of God has given me a purpose for living.
How about you?
Have you experienced the mercy of God in your life? How has it affected you?